The Evil DM

The Evil DM
The Evil DM

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day 17 - First time you heard D&D was somehow "evil."

I first heard someone say D&D was evil in the early 80s.

I grew up in Utah. I was a non-Mormon in a very Mormon state. Without going into personal details, in-laws from both sides my family ostracized us. I grew up on a street where there were two first-degree murders, several rapes, reports of incest, and bestiality. My high school had a reputation for drugs. I went to school with Warren Jeffs. He was a year older. Warren made the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list.

With that background, when I heard a few people saying D&D was evil, I laughed. I have a good idea what evil is. Evil is beating your daughter to death with a baseball bat because she was on drugs. Evil is getting in a bar fight, driving home to get your shotgun, and then driving back to the bar to blow the other guy away. Evil is raping your daughter. When you have lived around people who do real evil you laugh at people who think some role-playing game is evil.

As the saying goes, I marched to the beat of a different drummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment