The Evil DM

The Evil DM
The Evil DM

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Day 9 - First campaign setting (homebrew or published) you played in.

I remember the first campaign I played in. Steve and I both started playing Dungeons and Dragons the same night up in brigade operations. Steve designed his own campaign. He wanted to run a higher-level campaign. I do not remember what level we actually were. I do remember the magic user has a Staff of Wizardry.

The party came up to the first castle. The drawbridge was up. The wizard pulled out his Staff of Wizardry and used telekinesis on the drawbridge. Steve shouted, "You can't do that!" You can tell an adventure is not going to go well when the first action of the party starts a Rules War. The party finally agreed we could not use telekinesis on the drawbridge. Instead we used disintegrate. Defeated, Steven mumbled, "ok". We did not know the drawbridge was a key feature of the entire castle/adventure. Steve designed the castle with all kinds of different effects dependent on the state of the drawbridge. We disintegrated a key component of the adventure in our first action.

Things really got out of hand. We sacked the castle with little effort. Steve was disheartened. He did not run his campaign for a long time after that. I learned to expect the worst from my players. I decided to create a castle just for that high-level party. But, that is another post.


The image was taken from here:

No comments:

Post a Comment