I am about to find out. I created a logic problem for the party to solve. This should take several sessions. The party learns the basic setup of the problem, but not all of the clues. In order to learn the remaining clues the party needs to contact other non-player characters. The NPCs will not give up their clues without the party completing some quests. The side quests provide the hack-and-slash to sate the partys bloodlust.
Assembling all the clues does not automatically solve the quest. The party must determine the solution using inductive and deductive reasoning skills.
The party is looking for the Hut of Iroine. Solving the logic problem is a way to obtain a map leading them to the Hut of Iroine. Below are the initial clues the party receives.
- Chinyere is the Apothecary in Appary. She inherited the shop from Siminas.
- Unfortunately, Siminas did not give Chinyere all his recipes before he died.
- Siminas previously treated four of the villagers: Nani, Akil, Wilkes, and Thorsten.
- Each villager had a different affliction.
- Chinyere will provide a detailed map to the Hut of Iroine if the party specified the affliction Siminas cured for each villager, what herb Siminas used, and where to find the herb.
- The cure for each affliction is a different rare herb.
- Each herb grows in a different location.
- Strox is the name of one of the afflictions.
- Hissing Barley is the name of one of the herbs.
- One of the locations is the Western Crag.
- Do not treat Blue Eye Chills with Blood Radish.
- Blood Radish does not grow in Crones Bog.
- Crones Bog is where the herb to treat Scarlet Flue grows.